TEXTscape
Like Dominic Celis

TEXTscape

TEXTscape

Description:

Published: May 8, 2020 1 0 152
By: Dominic Celis, Cal Poly Pomona
Hashtags: #cppla #cppla23

The letters that I had chosen to use, D and C, aren’t exactly what I could have picked. After all, I do have 2 last names. This left me with the issue; how do I combine both my first name with my last names with only 2 letters? I began to question whether I should just use D and C but then it hit me. I thought to myself, “What if I found somebody with the letter M in their name and link it to my own? Right there was where the light bulb went off and I realized that I was not constrained by my letters. I had the ability to link my letters to any letter and make it composed to assist mine. This is why I chose to connect my letters to the letter M as it represents my second last name. Connecting back to my 2 last names, the idea of 2 last names descends from medieval Europe where a second last name, or surname, was given to a family that refused to choose one last name from the spouse or husband. The Europeans immigrated from their villages to North America and, given they were some of the first settlers of North America, this caused them to create a new system to identify. This was done due to the ever-expanding population of people migrating to North America and identifying people by their first names was not only confusing but difficult. Though I am not European, I am Hispanic and it is not surprising to see somebody with multiple last names.

Tagged Teammates:

• James Becerra

Likers

Nina Briggs