Teaching in Japan! Ukulele Duet Teacher & Student!
Like Bernadette Etcheverry Plazola

• Entry Media

Description:

Published: November 30, 2015 26 4 887
By: Bernadette Etcheverry Plazola, Cal Poly Pomona
Hashtags: #duet #fall2015openchallenge #Music #Student #Teacher

in March 2015, one of my 2nd graders, Nanoha, expressed interest in learning how to play the ukulele. After meeting twice a week for 1 month we recorded this video. In these mini lessons, we did not have a language in common. Nanoha, is Japanese, lives in Okinawa, Japan, and couldn't speak 1 full sentence in English at the time. I, on the other hand, speak Spanish and English, but not Japanese. Our music lessons were completely done using a different language: music

Now Nanoha is in 3rd grade, has started playing guitar, has played competitively, and can speak more English!
When interviewed last week, she was asked, "What is your dream?" to which she responded, "My dream is to be a musician."

This video is both a testament to student's ability to learn a new instrument in 1 month and play a duet with an adult and it serves as a reminder of where she started. I see a big future for her, and that's the best part of being a teacher. A music teacher, that is.

Likers

Deanna Phan Shyla Krishnappa Laura Cook Miss India Jasdeep Ghag Sam Smith Dathan Reeves Jorge Moreno Miera Mae Ayudtod Nilseanette Bascon Ainie Alinsonorin Nilseanette Bascon Tara Gillette Christine Mae Hamili Daisy Castro