Shirt Dress: CAD for Patternmaking Project #2
Like Kelsey Hogan

Description:

Published: December 6, 2019 1 0 116
By: Kelsey Hogan, Cal Poly Pomona
Hashtags: #Clothing #Design #Fashion #Illustrator

This is the result of my 2nd project in my CAD for Patternmaking course I had the pleasure of taking during my Fall semester at Cal Poly Pomona.

For this project, I was tasked with creating a custom shirt dress pattern using the program TUKA with the following elements: a zipper or button closure, a standing collar, darts, and at least two additional design elements. The main importance of this project was to create this dress as a custom fit for one of our other classmates, not to a standard industry size. After designing a technical flat in illustrator, we then measured our classmate whom we were making the dress for, designed the flat patterns in TUKA, then proceeded to sew a couple of muslin prototypes to check the fit on our partners. Once out design and fit was approved to contain little or no adjustments, we moved on to the final prototype using our choice of fashion fabric; preferably something that we could use in terms of production for sale.

My design was inspired by the 50's button-up dress style, my final prototype included large white buttons down the front, a plaid wool flannel fabric, and an emerald green micro suede contrast that was included in the back yoke and collar to help give the design a modern uplift.

This second project was definitely more challenging than the first, by I also learned the most from this project. One of the main challenges I was facing was how much ease to add to a garment to allow for movement. This isn't something that you can learn in a text however, but it best learned hands-on and by using your intuition. Seeing yourself how the body moves while wearing your garment was very helpful, particularly in the area around the sleeves of my final garment. Also, the models posture can also affect the overall fit of the garment, particularly the curvature of the spine. It can greatly affect how the waistline or the center line sits of the model, which has to be changed and reflected upon in your pattern making as well. Overall, I am quite pleased with my final result and i feel more comfortable tackling challenging projects like this in the future.

Likers

Jasmine Barrett