High-Capacity Short-Range Transport Aircraft
Like Lauren Padilla

Description:

Published: July 2, 2020 1 0 203
By: Lauren Padilla,
Hashtags: #Aerospace #AIAA #aiaacompetition #aircraftdesign #airvehicledesign #Design #Engineering #Project

Throughout my last year of college, I led a team of eight students through a year-long capstone project where we had to respond to a Request for Proposal (RFP) from the AIAA. Our response to the RFP was formatted into a technical report and entered into the AIAA 2019-2020 Undergraduate Air Vehicle Design Competition.
Leading up to final report, my team made numerous progress presentations to our faculty advisor, as well as formal presentations to reviewers from Northrop Grumman and Lockheed Martin. Their feedback helped my team to create an aircraft concept that met and exceeded the RFP requirements.

AIAA RFP Summary:
This Request for Proposal sought the design of a high-capacity, short-range transport aircraft designed to alleviate airport congestion, without the size and cost that comes with long-range capability. This aircraft was to have an entry into service (EIS) of 2029, with a passenger capacity of 400 in a dual class configuration, and 3,500 nautical miles of range. This aircraft was designed to best serve the congestion at airports such as John F Kennedy International (JFK) and London Heathrow (LHR) which results in delays, not enough flights to meet demand, and passengers needing to fly to smaller satellite airports.
A major design objective was to minimize operating cost of the aircraft based on a reference mission of 700 nmi. This mission represented key markets for this aircraft such as the East Coast of the US and Continental Europe.

Likers

Lauren Padilla