Cal Poly Pomona Liquid Rocket Lab
Like Xavier Quintana

Cal Poly Pomona Liquid Rocket Lab

Cal Poly Pomona Liquid Rocket Lab

Description:

Published: August 18, 2020 0 0 182
By: Xavier Quintana, Cal Poly Pomona
Hashtags: #Design #Engineering #Project #Rocket #rocketengine #RocketProject #rocketpropulsion #Rocketry #student_competition

This was a student lead competition team that would build a liquid rocket from scratch using methane and LOX to reach the edge of space altitude for FAR Mars Competition. This student project was funded by the National College Resources Foundation. I had started my third year on this project as part of the testing team. I got the chance to write procedures and test documentation for each tests and would be revised by our advisor Dr. Frank Chandler. I would also conduct tests and lead some tests for different components of the rocket. I learned more about the rocket than most would and I got to see every component and learned all components of rocket and would be an advisor for teams on improvements from the testing. I would also regularly help the manufacturing team to build rocket parts and machine new parts for the rocket. I would then be promoted to become an ambassador for the rocket since I knew all components and teams. I would recruit students to join the project and would also meet with industry professionals to show off the progress and to ask for donations from the companies. Unfortunately the team had experience some set backs that would not help us to compete which was failed pyro valves and our avionics bay caught on fire. I would then move to become the lead of the testing team which I then setup all possible tests and procedures for the next coming year and would have full hands in this next year. Unfortunately I became a lead on another project which was my senior project and senior design project which made me step down from the position but was able to still be an ambassador and as well as a consultant for any help needed on the rocket. I was able to gain testing and manufacturing experience being apart of this team. I also had an opportunity to join one of our advisors as a part time position working with his rocket engine company Ventura Energy Systems, LLC. I am grateful for this project and hope that the next years will win competition and launch a successful rocket.Cal Poly Pomona Liquid Rocket Lab