AWS Practicum website
Like Conner Peterson

AWS Practicum website

AWS Practicum website

Description:

Published: January 16, 2020 0 0 43
By: Conner Peterson, Cal Poly Pomona
Hashtags: #Aws #Web_development

For this project, I decided that I wanted to create a customizable WordPress site hosted by AWS. I also wanted a custom domain name, so that I could easily share my example work, resume, or contact information with others in an expedited format. I started off this project by creating a Linux EC2 instance, I made sure to name it and I gave it a security group that gave my current IP SSH access, and gave all other addresses HTTP and HTTPS access. I then created an RDS utilizing MySQL, later setting its security group to the same security group that was for my EC2 instance. This will let my EC2 instance talk to the RDS. Then, I used SSH with my generated keypair to access my EC2 instance via PuTTY. I installed MySQL via the CLI, created a user and gave them permissions, and then downloaded and installed Apache. After that, I then downloaded and installed WordPress. After customizing wp-config.php and restarting the server, I was able to access the WordPress admin login page via the EC2’s public IPV4 address. At this point, I basically had a fully operational WordPress site, but it lacked a custom domain name. I created an elastic IP address from my EC2 dashboard and associated the private IP of my EC2 instance with the provided elastic IP address. Afterwards, I navigated to AWS Route53 and purchased a domain name, then I made sure to set the A level DNS to my new elastic IP address. This means that anytime someone tries to load “www.capeterson.io” or “capeterson.io”, it will redirect to the elastic IP address associated with my EC2 instance. Finally, although the steps seem easy, it is worth noting that some of these steps such as registering a domain name can take 1-3 business days to be completed, and it is difficult to tell when your domain is properly working. This made this project laborious, but with a rewarding payoff.