ADA Residential Design
Like Hatem Al-Harazi

ADA Residential Design

ADA Residential Design

Description:

Published: December 1, 2018 0 0 27
By: Hatem Al-Harazi, Cal Poly Pomona
Hashtags: #3D #accessibility #ADA #AutoCAD #Design #Interior #InteriorDesign #Sketchup

Project: Problem Design/ Special Needs project
Location: Kyrenia, North Cyprus
Year: 2013 (4th Year Project)
Instructor: Ms.Safiye Ozaltiner

Project Brief:

The plans of local existing buildings were given to the students to be redesigned to be
accessible for a user with special needs, the plan I was provided with was a one floor house, we were asked to provide technical drawings with solutions to all the obstacles the user could face .

My Proposal:

My main objective was to design a home with the user does not have to rely on any help from others, I wanted my user to feel independent and encouraged to perform his/her daily duties like any other user, while at the same time the house would be used by any other user without special needs. The existing condition of the house wasn’t suitable, I proposed the entrance ramp for easy access to the house and redesigned the existing kitchen by studying the standard heights of the cabinets and equipments. I had to also redesign the toilets and bathrooms and create handles and an open bath area. As for the stairs I proposed a movable platform that could be folded when not in use to give more space.